Thursday, August 22, 2013

Spicey!

It's time, it's time! Now boss "da plane, da plane!" isn't here, I'm talking basil man. That's right all that stuff that was planted in the garden is finally ready to harvest! The best thing about gardening is sharing, trading, and getting excess bounty.

A friend gave be a large bag of fresh Basil. I decided to use some to make Tomato Basil Soup with some of the tomatoes I've been harvesting.

The rest I dried to use later. There are lots of ways to dry herbs. The first time I tried I went with the old school method of tying them in bundles and hanging them to dry. That didn't work so well for me. I'm not exactly sure how I could mess up such easy instructions, but I did. This time I got complicated. Well not really, more like I went the more power, *grunt*,*grunt* route.

Spread the harvested leaves onto a cookie sheet/jelly roll pan. Place in the oven at 200F for about 2 hours. Your house will smell fantastic! After 2 hours I turned off the heat left the pan in the oven and went to bed. Complicated right?

In the morning crumble up the dried leaves and stored them in a labeled, airtight container.

Sorry for all the 80's-90's TV references, I watched a lot of TV as a child. So many fabulous shows in the 80's.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Want to make my day? Leave a comment. I read and appreciate EVERY one of them, REALLY, I DO!