Sunday, February 19, 2012

Frosted Glass on French Doors


After

We live in a house built in the 1930's, over the years previous owners have made changes and updates. 

French doors were installed as the closest door to the garage. Subsequently it is the most used door in the house, and all the opening and closing is REALLY hard on window treatments.

As you can see in the before my blinds had really taken a beating. But what kind of covering could I use to provide some privacy while maintaining an ability to see out back when the kids are playing, and not spend lots of $$$$$ on custom manufactured Door Window Blind Inserts?

With a little bit of time and less than $20. Here is what I came up with. 







I picked up a can of window frosting paint at the local hardware store, and thin line masking tape at an automotive store.


I wasn't able to find it at any hardware store, but I knew it existed and kept looking, I finally found it at an automotive store. I thought it was a bit spendy for tape, but I really wanted the thin line. Thankfully one roll was plenty, and I even had to redo a couple of panes as I was hoping to use up a can from a previous project, and at the end of the can it dripped.

Using the tape I outlined each pane to create thin clear strips of glass for looking out while still obscuring most of the window.

Then I simply painted the glass. Use multiple thin coats verses 1 thick coat of the paint. You can speed up the drying with a hair dryer. If you make a mistake, simple remove the paint with a razor blade and repaint.

Once the paint is dry, simply remove the tape. I was not all that careful while spraying so I had to use a green scrub sponge to remove residue from the mullions. I should have covered them with a strip of regular painters tape to prevent that.

I love the clean lines of the new windows, but my favorite has to be all the light that now comes in them!





Another view of the finished window


Before image of dingy, broken blinds




Pin It



5 comments :

  1. I think the end result looks really gorgeous! It's really a good thing to have your windows and glass French doors frosted, especially if they don’t have shade. Aside from their beautiful appearance, frosted doors offers a little privacy to the owners and also a sense of security.
    Greg Arnett

    ReplyDelete
  2. French doors are mostly given preference over all other kind of doors. These French doors can easily be accustomed to suit your home's appearance. French doors can also be a good option to be used as security doors as they offer good amount of strength and durability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Electrical power dissertation web-sites on-line when you likewise be given clearly advertised with your web page. fensterversand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your post which is truly informative for us and we will surely keep visiting this website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy,

    These look great! Sorry all your comments are spammy. Im sure many DIYers have found this useful.. I did!

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a comment. I read and appreciate EVERY one of them, REALLY, I DO!