Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Homemade Hummus

My first taste of hummus was by chance. Thanks to my couponing I was able to get 4 free tubs. I picked it up and hoped we liked it. Like it we did! However, without coupons it is outside of my budget. So I decided to see if I could make it.
 
Basic Hummus Recipe:
1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
1/4-1/2 cup liquid from can of chickpeas (depends on smoothness)
3-5 tablespoons lemon or lime juice (depending on taste)
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini **
2 teaspoons minced garlic (you could roast 2 cloves instead for added flavor)
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
 
Preparation:
Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in a food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Add more liquid from chickpeas if needed.
 
Flavor Options:
Sun dried Tomatoes
Roasted Red Peppers
Caramelized Onion
Roasted Garlic
I have found that the Roasted Red Peppers add enough extra liquid, while my Sun dried Tomatoes didn't.
Some recipes call for Olive Oil, I just prefer to add a bit extra liquid from the chickpeas.

Place in serving bowl, Garnish with parsley (optional).
**Tahini is essentially sesame seed peanut butter. I find it in the Organic/Natural section of the grocery store. It can be made from scratch as well, but it is difficult to get smooth, and texture is the number one reason why people don't like hummus.
 
This recipe is such a hit in our house, I always double the batch. It is our staple snack along with carrots and celery, when we go out on the boat.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Want to make my day? Leave a comment. I read and appreciate EVERY one of them, REALLY, I DO!