School started back up so I only have one daily helper now. But she worked hard and made sure I didn't miss any spots. Since my floor had been previously painted, my options were to live with it as is (No Way!); sand/grind the paint off so I could lay tile or a concrete overlay(Uh...No); or repaint (that sounds pretty painless).
After painting all the other surfaces, I prepped the floor for new paint. I started by sweeping that went pretty good, but I did haul out a couple of full small garbage cans. Yuck! Then I used a scrub brush and a mop to scrub them clean. No matter how often I changed the water, it was almost always a thick sludge color. No wonder nobody wanted to spend much time down here. During the mopping stage I noticed lots of small debris and lint that was released from the floor, so I followed up with a final vacuuming to get any small particles.
|Kids area almost back together.|
It is so bright now I am able to take photos without a flash or a tripod! I've also noticed that for the first time ever the dog likes to come downstairs too. I am almost ready to pat myself on the back.
Cost for this project for:
2 gallons of tinted paint
1 paint screen
$50 Total OOP