Monday, July 1, 2013

Rhubarb Fizz Recipe

I love perennial plants. I like to be able to invest once and enjoy year after year. Living in Minnesota, few of my favorite plants are able to survive the winters, and even fewer thrive with bitterly cold winters.

One of my favorite plants came from Siberia and is abundant in yards all around MN, Rhubarb. Thanks to my Aunt Jennifer, who is a part of the Annual Rhubarb Festival in Lanesboro, MN, I have an awesome book full of Rhubarb facts and recipes. That revelation came to mind after seeking and finding a recipe on the internet, but more about that later. Just because I put recipe in the title you didn't really think you would get out of the back story did you?

During a recent dinner with friends, we had an awesome Rhubarb Custard Pie that stirred discussion of rhubarb treats we've had. They mentioned a Rhubarb Slush that was served to them by the wife of an older gentleman they had met. That was years ago, and they had never run across it again, My Vet who has eaten rhubarb all his life had never heard of it, I decided I was going to figure it out. As usual my first instinct was to Google it and found this recipe. I modified it slightly so make it more rhubarby. Here is what I did.

Rhubarb Fizz

8 Cups diced Rhubarb (Fresh or Frozen)
2 Cups of Water
2/3 Cup of Sugar
2 Cups of Apple Juice (next time I would only use 1)
1 16oz can of Pink Lemonade Frozen Concentrate thawed
2 Liter bottle of Lemon Lime Soda

In a sauce pan bring rhubarb, water, and sugar to a boil. Simmer 5 Minutes until rhubarb is breaking down. Cool for 30 minutes. Use a blender to puree the mixture half at a time. Pour into a freezer safe container, mix in apple juice and lemonade concentrate. Mix and Freeze. Mine was solid enough around the edges to use the next day, and continued to harden for another 24 hours.

Serve by scooping 1/3 cup into a glass and topping off with a cup of Soda. Stir and serve

It was good, but a bit lemony and less rhubarby. After trying it I remembered The Divine Rhubarb Committee's cookbook we had. They have a similar recipe that eliminates the Apple Juice and the Concentrate, while increasing the sugar and using straight up lemon juice, and a secret ingredient you'll need to check their book for. I think I will try that one later in the summer as it was a ribbon winning recipe.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Want to make my day? Leave a comment. I read and appreciate EVERY one of them, REALLY, I DO!