Monday, June 24, 2013

The Best Rhubarb Pie - Ever

 
You've read about my love affair with rhubarb, but I have yet to share a pie recipe with you. That is because I have been tweaking. I like a pie that isn't too liquidy, over seasoned, too bitter, or even too sweet.

There are lots of recipes out there, and through a grueling taste testing process I've perfected it. When it comes to pie, the crust is as important as the filling. I have been using this recipe from Martha Stewart for 15 years for all my pie crust needs (Savory and sweet). If you choose this route and use a standard glass Pyrex pie plate follow the recipe exactly. If you want to use a store bought crust, or are using a smaller tin or aluminum pan, reduce the amount of Rhubarb to 3 cups or your filling will overflow and make a giant mess in the oven.

Here it is:
4 Cups fresh rhubarb, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
2 Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon corn starch
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
1 unbaked pie shell

In a bowl mix rhubarb, flour and corn starch until well coated. In a separate bowl mix eggs, sugar, butter, and nutmeg and pour over rhubarb. Mix Well. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Cover with a prepared pie crust. Remember to cut a vent hole in the top. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and make an additional 55 minutes. (45 for a smaller pan)

This recipe makes 1 pie, but can easily be doubled.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Want to make my day? Leave a comment. I read and appreciate EVERY one of them, REALLY, I DO!