Tuesday, April 1, 2014

It Must Be Lovely This Time of Year

Good Memories
I have friends all over the country who are using Facebook to show how their gardens are coming along. On Sunday my sister in SD even planted some onions. Why is it everyone just posts the happy parts of their lives online? Studies have shown that too much time looking at these positive postings cause others to become depressed and feel that the grass really is greener on the other side of the fence.



I'm here to tell you it's not. In fact, its covered with deep snow, and there is no sign of green. We even have 2 more days of snow forecasted for this week.


Happy people aren't happy because their lives are perfect. They are happy because they choose to see the world through God' eyes. I have my seasons, but for the most part, I consider myself to be a happy person. I know that the world isn't perfect, I know pain and sorrow but I have faith.

Eventually winter will end, the snow will melt and I will once again see the amazing growth of small seeds into a bountiful harvest.


No matter how bad things get right now, right here, I know this is not eternity.


Here is where we all have a choice. When I woke up this morning to a fresh coating of snow, I could choose to be angry or happy. Will I allow my emotions to be determined by other people (or inanimate objects?) It sounds pretty silly when you say it that way doesn't it?


If your high school nemesis has a seemingly happy life, does that make your smile any less genuine? That guy you barely remember from way back, just got back from a dream vacation with his disturbingly photogenic family, does that make you love your family any less? Stop comparing yourself, stop thinking if only.., start looking up from your computer screen, start making real connections to real people, start asking people about themselves. You will quickly learn that we all have problems and insecurities. Start being grateful you don't have their problems.

 
I know that not all of us have problems that will simply be fixed with an attitude adjustment, but it is a great place to start.


Don't you wish life was really like a Box of Chocolates? You still wouldn't always know what you are going to get and you might not like it, but at least you could always count on a sugar rush.

1 comment :

  1. I'm in the same place, where I have my seasons like everyone, but also have inner contentedness and happiness, even during the winter seasons. That, of course, doesn't mean I'm not very appreciative of the sunshine (which has been out for a few days now, woohoo!). And there's my mix of literal and metaphorical for the day. ;). Have a happy rest of the week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Leave a comment. I read and appreciate EVERY one of them, REALLY, I DO!