Saturday, September 15, 2012

Why I Love Cast Iron

 No matter how hard I try. Every frying pan I have ever had, I ruined. All it takes is just one lazy day or just one guest cook in the kitchen. You see every good frying pan has special instructions that if not followed exactly, ruins the pan. I have used almost every brand of fry pan, all with the same results. Until now.

This last time around I decided to go old school and picked up a cast iron pan at Walmart. Since I had done some online research prior to purchasing, I re-seasoned my "pre-seasoned" pan. It has been awesome. I love the even heat distribution, it easily goes from stove top to oven, I use it at least once every day. So I am not 100% sure why in the last couple of weeks my eggs have started to stick.

With cast iron it is an easy solution though. (Have I mentioned how awesome this pan is?)
*I grabbed some steal wool from the basement and started to scrub, scrub, and scrubbed a little more (I didn't use soap).
*I then rinsed, dried, rinsed and thoroughly dried again. I waited 30 minutes to make sure it was dry.
*Using a paper towel I applied a really thin coat of vegetable oil to the entire pan, top, bottom, sides, and handle. I placed in the oven, then set the temperature to 400 degrees. And let it bake for 30 minutes. Turned off the oven and let it cool in the oven until cool enough to touch. Repeat for a total of 3-4 thin coats.

With a little bit of effort, and $0 spent, I have a brand new, no stick pan again!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Want to make my day? Leave a comment. I read and appreciate EVERY one of them, REALLY, I DO!